Those crazy minds that make us intrigued and those eyes that make us swoon – artists are the species that are hardly ever understood. They’re so gung-ho about their work that they’re seen endlessly devoted to their pursuits. If you are able to pull them out of their work and suggest travel, you should be definitely shortlisted for the Bravery Award.
However fret not! Here are a few tricks to travel to different destinations in India, where you are assured of enjoying your time and your artistic better half theirs’.
- The Dune Ecovillage and Spa (Pondicherry) is one of the most preferred artistic retreat destinations in India. Located in the French part of Southern India, it still has retained its penchant for assimilation of cultures with people flocking here from all parts of the world. What’s more is that this place is one of the top true blue eco-friendly hotels of India catering to culture and creativity. Their retreat programs are offered in the months of December to February for the duration of one to three months. Check them out here
- Jaipur is famous for its blue pottery and The Art Inn in this city lends a whole new charm to the arts, crafts and textiles of Rajasthan. Built by a German this cottage houses some rooms for stay and other rooms are converted into art centers thematically. The Blue Factory Center is the room decorated on the theme of the blue pottery. The Artists Pride room houses arts of mixed media like textiles, toys and wood artifacts. The Writer’s Retreat is a room with a view, having a beautiful window overlooking the garden. Retreat Projects involve textiles, pottery, jewelry making, and painting. For more details see here
- Say the name Goa and everyone wants to be there perched on the hammock and basking in the glorious sun and water. The Only Olive in Goa is actually a century old Portuguese villa. It is a 3 bedroom villa but it is a work of great love by the hosts who have kept it really beautiful. The sprawling garden and the breathtaking views are an addition to the Artists in Residence Program that the hosts have designed for artists to get in touch with others and exchange ideas. Interestingly, they have an option for you to submit your work and you can get a discount on accommodations! More about them here
- Another place to tickle your artistic sensibilities in Goa is The Art Escape. Located in Benaulim (South Goa) it’s simple bamboo huts are a draw. Believing in the fact that every person is an artist, they have diverse workshops like painting, African drumming, pottery, photography and theatre among others. The Art Escape is part of “The Inspire Commune” which facilitates, motivates and encourages all forms of arts and designs. Check out their Facebook page.
- With a name that makes your tongue roll, Swa Swara is actually a health resort located in Gorkana (Karnataka) on one of the most beautiful beaches of India along the Konkan coast. For Artists in Residence programs they have special packages and allow artists to mingle with each other and explore pursuits ranging from painting to photography. Yoga, meditation and ayurveda rejuvenation are part of the package. However, a 5 day stay is a must here. Get more information here
- With the influx of several cultures, how can Delhi be far behind? Sanskriti Kendra in New Delhi is a cultural center that caters to serious artists. They provide working space for people who are engaged in long term creative endeavour. It is operated by Sanskriti Pratishtan (a non-profit org. and charitable trust). Their main focus is on reviving arts and culture and they have an international residency program on offer. This center houses 8 residential studios for writers, sculptors and painters. In tune with the promotion of serious art, a minimum of 20 day stay is required. More details here
Sounds interesting right? Why don’t you join your artistic better half and bring out that creative side of yours too?